When it comes to your health, where you live may be much more important than you realize. Some cities have made a concerted effort to provide residents with a healthy place to live, while other cities still have a long way to go. A New Hampshire estate planning attorney at DeBruyckere Law Offices explains how your city ranks among the healthiest American cities.
The WalletHub Study
In order to find out how healthy American cities are, WalletHub compared more than 170 of the most populated U.S. cities. The cities were compared using four key dimensions using 43 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the most favorable conditions for a healthy lifestyle.
Care – Total Points: 25
- Premature-Death Rate
- Mental Health
- Mental-Health Counselors per Capita
- Physical Health
- Family Doctors per Capita
- Dentists per Capita
- Cost of Medical Visit
- Cost of Dental Visit
- Cost of Basic Medicine
- Quality of Public Hospital System
- Hospital Beds per Capita
- Adult Health-Insurance Coverage
- Youth Health-Insurance Coverage
- Share of Adults Who Visited a Doctor or a Dentist in the Past Year
- Share of Adults Who Checked their Cholesterol in the Past 5 Years
- Mammography Screenings Among Women Aged 50–74 Years
- Share of Women & Men Aged 65 Years and Older Who Received Core Preventive Services
– Total Points: 25
- Inadequate Fruit & Vegetable Consumption
- Farmer’s Markets per Capita
- Gourmet Specialty-Food Stores per Capita
- Healthy Restaurants per Capita
- Dietitians & Nutritionists per Capita
- Share of Residents Who Say They Eat Healthy
- Google Search Interest for “Healthy Eating”
- Share of Obese Residents
- Limited Access to Healthy Foods
– Total Points: 25
- Share of Adults Who Engage in Any Physical Activity
- Well-Being “Physical” Rank
- Fitness & Instruction Centers per Capita
- Average Cost of Fitness-Club Membership
- Intramural Leagues per Capita
- Weight-Loss Centers per Capita
- Fitness Trainers & Aerobics Instructors per Capita
Space – Total Points: 25
- Parkland Acres per Capita
- Quality of Parks
- Hiking Trails per Capita
- Running Trails per Capita
- Walking Trails per Capita
- Walk Score
- Bike Score
- Physical-Activity Access
- City “Greenness”
- Recreation Access
How Did Nashua and Manchester Rank?
Nashua, New Hampshire came in 55th overall with a total score of 49.98 out of 100. The city came in number 53 in the Health Care category and 129th in the Food category. In the Fitness category, Nashua ranked an impressive 19th but dropped back down to 85th in the Green Space category.
Manchester did not fare as well as Nashua, coming in 72nd overall with a composite score of 47.92. In the Health Care and Food categories, the city ranked 68th and 111th respectively. Manchester ranked 50th in the Fitness category while coming in number 72 in the Green Space category.
In the sub-category “Most Mental Health Counselors per Capita,” Nashua ranked in the top six cities while also ranking third in the “Lowest Average Monthly Cost of Fitness Club Membership.” Manchester ranked third in the “Most Dieticians and Nutritionists per Capita” category.
Contact a New Hampshire Estate Planning Attorney
For more information, please join us for an upcoming FREE seminar. If you have additional questions about estate planning, contact a New Hampshire estate planning attorney at DeBruyckere Law Offices by calling (603) 894-4141 or (978) 969-0331 to schedule an appointment.
Every adult can benefit from having an estate plan because a comprehensive plan does more than just decide how your assets are distributed after you are gone. For example, an estate plan can help plan for the possibility of incapacity and protect minor children.
If you relocate, be sure to update your estate plan to account for major changes in your assets and debts as well as any important changes in state law.
Routine reviews should be conducted every three to five years during your working years; however, certain events call for a more immediate review. Marriage, divorce, birth, deaths, and relocation are among the life events that typically call for an immediate review.